Tuesday, September 3, 2013

TVP Meatless Meatballs

Juliana has been on a gluten free diet, I just put us girls on it as well, but we make an exception for daddy. Tonight I wanted to serve spaghetti and meatballs. I had viewed a recipe on this site for TVP meatless meatballs. I noticed I didn't have the rice it called for and altered it a lot to work for what I had on hand. As much as I wanted to make these vegan, I couldn't. I needed a binding agent so I used 2 eggs. Surprisingly they turned out really good. I would have served these in tomato sauce but Juliana is also allergic to tomatoes. So the pictures you see are the plates for my children. I hope this helps with some of you that are looking for some new GF recipes.

TVP Meatless Meatballs

Ingredients:

1/2 cup hot water
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/8 tsp cumin
3/4 cup Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)
2 eggs
1/4-1/2 c. gluten free oats (lightly processed in processor)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 c. Vegan cheese of choice

Method:

1) In a mixing bowl add the water, dried basil, oregano, onion powder, garlic salt, and cumin.  Add in the TVP to soak up all the flavor, let the TVP to sit for about 5 minutes. 




2) Mix all ingredients in bowl. If you can let it sit for 30 min. you may get a thicker consistency. I however did not have the time, so this recipe did not sit. 


3) These meatballs were fried in about 1 Tbs of Olive oil. Allow for the meatballs to brown on one side before turning them over. 


Olivia

Juliana

No comments:

Post a Comment