Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Black Bean Burgers

I love when I find a good vegan burger. There are many out there that seem to me a little scary to try. My family of two preschoolers and a husband are subject to my kitchen makings and I want to make that a painless as possible. Most of the time I have to make my food GF and vegan which poses a challenge to find recipes that taste good for everyone, including my husband who is a flexitarian (a person who eats mostly vegetarian and occasionally eats meat.) I found The Simple Veganista blog and love the vegan options she gives. This recipe for Santa Fe Black Bean Burgers was super good. My family loved them, however it was on the spicy side and hard for one of my girls to finish. I think I will omit the cayenne next time. I made the recipe as written. I hope you enjoy.


Spicy Black Bean Burger



Ingredients



1 can (14 oz) organic black beans, drained and rinsed

1/4 cup oats (I use GF)

1/4 cup whole wheat flour, or flour of choice* (I used Almond flour)

3/4 teaspoon cumin

1/2 teaspoon cayenne (I suggest to omit this for children who don't like things spicy)

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon himalayan salt

1/4 cup chunky salsa or pico de gallo, give or take (choose mild to reduce spiciness) 

1 tablespoon sesame or olive oil

corn meal, for dusting (I used course grind) (optional)

Method:

1) Drain and rinse black beans in colander. In a medium size bowl mash black beans with a strong fork or use a potato masher, leaving some chunks for texture if you like. 


2) Add oats, flour, spices, salt and salsa, mix again. If mixture is too wet, add more flour to the mix, if a little dry, add more salsa.




3) Shape your patties into whatever size you like. I made 5 patties. 


4) Give a light dusting of corn meal if you have it, it will give a nice crunch, flavor, and cook up crispy. (I did not use this as I was out of cornmeal.) 

5) Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet on medium. Cook for about 5 five minutes each side. It's ok if the cornmeal gets a little crispy.   

I served mine with peas and a side of hummus and GF crackers.
I also chose to serve without a bun. It was really yummy and filling.

This was my girls' plate.


*Suggested accompaniments: red onion slices, leafy greens, and/or salsa. Mashed avocado as spread, or sliced avocado. 


My girls eating this supper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment