Thursday, March 13, 2014

Vegan French Toast

Since my husband is a huge fan of breakfast for supper, I often have to find a replacement for items he chooses to make. Yes, he does cook....breakfast. This particular night, he wanted to have french toast. I have never made that vegan before and was in need of a recipe very quickly. I searched the internet and found one at love and lemons blog. This blog is awesome for those of us who eat vegan. I will be exploring it more. Here is her recipe for French toast. The only revisions I made was to use rice milk as I don't like the aftertaste of almond milk, and whole wheat bread. Gluten free bread can be used if needed. I hope you enjoy.


Vegan French Toast




Ingredients:
  • 6 slices, slightly stale ciabatta bread, sliced about 3/4-inch thick* ( I used Whole Wheat bread, GF is an option too)
  • 1 cup Almond Breeze Almond Milk, vanilla flavor ( I used rice milk and added 1 tsp. of vanilla)
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup (plus more, for serving)
  • 2 tablespoons millet flour (or any flour)
  • 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • small bit of freshly ground nutmeg
  • tiny pinch of salt
  • coconut oil, for the pan
Method:

1) Whisk together the milk, maple syrup, flour, nutritional yeast, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.


2) Place bread in a shallow dish (with sides) that holds all of the bread. Pour the mixture over the bread, flipping it around to coat thoroughly.

3) Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, place the bread slices and cook for a few minutes per side, until golden brown.

4) Serve with powdered sugar, a dab of vegan butter, maple syrup & fresh fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment