Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Unstuffed Pepper Casserole

There are so many recipes out there that I would love to try. Tonight, I wanted to make a gluten free and vegan dish using veggies and brown rice. Behold! I found one here. Unstuffed Vegetarian Peppers. I looked at the recipe and thought that it would taste rather good, and the more I looked at it, I started to change it to fit our needs and my preference on flavor. So, with that said. This is my own version of the recipe. My girls helped make this meal and they thought it was tasty. I do have to say, one of them didn't like the red peppers, so they picked them out. It might be more of an adult choice if your children do not like peppers. 

Unstuffed Vegan Peppers





Ingredients: 
3 cups diced peppers, red, yellow and green - 1 cup each
1/2 cup diced onion
2 Tbs. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp dried oregano
* 1/2 tsp dried basil
15 ounces tomato sauce
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used the Veggie vegan brand)
2 cups cooked rice, brown or white ( I used brown.)
* spices I added

Method:

1)  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2) In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.

3)  Add peppers and onions and cook until veggies start to soften, 5 minutes or so.



4)  Add garlic. oregano, basil and stir well.



5)  Add rice, tomato sauce and salt and stir to combine. Remove from heat.



6) Pour rice into a greased casserole dish, about 10x6 size and top with vegan cheese.




6) Bake fore 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. ( I baked mine for 12min.)






2 comments:

  1. Stephanie CalderonMarch 4, 2014 at 9:40 PM

    this looks very good! Thank you for sharing I am going to try this!

    ReplyDelete