Thursday, March 13, 2014

Tempeh Meatballs

I love anything to give pasta some life. I found this recipe for Tempeh Italian Meatballs and thought I would give it a try. These meatballs are vegan but I made mine gluten free too. I do have to give warning though for those who are gluten free, please check the kind of tempeh you buy. There are different kinds and I accidentally bought one with barley in it. Please read the labels. These are the best meatballs I have ever tasted that were gluten free and vegan. They have a meaty texture and spectacular flavor. Please note that the recipe I made is slightly different than the one linked. If you are not wanting gluten free, please follow the linked recipe. I hope you enjoy as this is a huge favorite among my 4 year olds and husband.

Tempeh Meatballs




Ingredients:

1 pkg tempeh, simmered in water for 10 mins, cooled, and grated 
1/4 cup instant GF oats (or just put regular GF oats in a food processor for a couple seconds)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 cup all purpose GF flour

1/2 tsp. xantham gum
1 tsp. onion powder
2 cloves garlic, grated1 tsp sage
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp oregano
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp GF soy sauce ( I used La Choy)
2 tbsp HP sauce/A1 Sauce/BBQ sauce (Make sure to chose a GF one)
3 tbsp coconut oil

Method:

1) Mix cooled and grated tempeh in a large bowl with oatmeal, nutritional yeast, gluten, onion, garlic, and spices. 

2) Add sauces and mush/mix together with your fingers. Add a splash of water if needed.

3) Heat oil in a large frying pan over med-lo heat. Shape tempeh mixture into 36 small balls.

4) Fry in oil for 15 mins, turning regularly, until nicely browned on all sides.


5)  Although the meatballs can be used right away, they are even better when simmered in a tomato sauce for an hour or so. Serve over pasta.


No comments:

Post a Comment